The timeline for the 2017 Petition Review Cycle is as follows*:
- January 26, 2017: Release date for 2017 Petition Review Cycle application.
- February 1, 2017: SCSC Petitioner Webinar: Overview of the 2017 Application and Fluid Review Introduction (2:00 p.m. EST)
- February 9, 2017: SCSC Petitioner Webinar: Funding and Budget Template Overview (2:00 p.m. EST) - Register
- February 14, 2017: SCSC Petitioner Webinar: Overview of the 2017 Application and Fluid Review Introduction (1:00 p.m. EST) - Register
- February 16, 2014: SCSC Petitioner Webinar: Funding and Budget Template Overview (1:00 p.m. EST) - Register
- April 17, 2017: Application Deadline.
- Petitions must be received by this date to receive consideration in the 2017 Petition Review Cycle.
- June 9, 2017: Legal Compliance Review concludes, Substantive Petition Review and Scheduling for Petitioner Interviews begin.
- July 10 – July 21, 2017: Petition Interviews commence.
- July 24 - September 15, 2017: SCSC and Petitioner collaborate to identify additional information and actions needed to assist SCSC Staff in formulating a recommendation.
- August 23, 2017: Substantive Petition Review concludes and SCSC Staff releases recommendations.
- August 30, 2017: SCSC Meeting - Commission will vote on SCSC Staff recommendations and SCSC Staff updates to Commission on other outstanding issues.
- September 13, 2017: Deadline for petitioners approved in August to return signed charters.
- September 20, 2017: SCSC Staff releases recommendations for petitions that did not receive a recommendation in August.
- September 27, 2017: SCSC Meeting - Commission will vote on SCSC Staff recommendations for petitions that did not receive a recommendation in August.
- October 11, 2017: Deadline for petitioners approved in September to return signed charters.
The Commission will discuss and vote to approve or deny charters based upon a review of the petitions, the interviews, previous school performance and achievement data, the SCSC Staff Recommendations, and any supplemental information requested from the petitioning groups.
In some circumstances in which SCSC Staff identify that a petitioner is capable of SCSC approval in the 2017 Petition Review Cycle but the petitioner needs additional time to complete requested actions, the SCSC may not vote to approve or deny a charter petitioner at its September meeting. In those cases, SCSC staff will continue to collaborate with petitioners that were not denied by the SCSC and will finalize a recommendation for the remaining petitioners as merited and the Commission will vote on SCSC staff recommendations as needed. Petitioners may be required to delay opening until the 2019-2020 school year.
*This timeline is subject to change